Saturday, August 13, 2011

Ramadhan....A deadly reminder.


"Did you see (O Muhammad) the one who rejects faith ?

It is indeed the same one who repells the orphan,

And it is the same one who does not call to feed the needy.

So, woe unto the upholders of the prayers

Who are forgetful of their prayers;

Who show-off (that they are in prayers)

Who refuse to give out the smallest of help (in kindnesses)!"[Al Ma'un 107:1 - 3]


Now that we are well into our weeks of fasting, and staying up wee-hours in the night to pray, spend time with family, and to reflect upon our relationships with Allah, I have been feeling closer to Allah and to my husband. His family is in Saudi Arabia and mine, well they aren't Muslim. Allah has blessed us both with each other Alhamdulilah. We have been spending more time together and though we aren't with a huge gathering of family members like most, we have each other and most importantly we have Allah.

Which brings me to my next issue. I came across a heartbreaking realization yesterday as I was browsing my twitter updates. The famine crisis in East Africa. Though this is not new news as famine strikes thousands of countries around the globe, this one in particular pained my heart.

"The United States estimates drought and famine in Somalia have killed more than 29,000 children under 5. Millions of people face the risk of starvation amid Somalia’s worst drought in 60 years." {Associated Press}


Picture taken in 1992
Current event 2011

These two images speak louder than words. They speak silence. I really felt heartbroken when I realized that this Ramadhan though I am fasting, my fast is broken after a certain time and I am able to eat while there are many people in this world that struggle so hard to stay alive because they have been fasting for weeks on end. Innocent children are helpless and dying and here I am wondering what to cook for my Suhur. I feel almost useless that I can't do anything about this situation. I can donate and that is the most I can do, that's the most we ALL can do.

You know, if every Muslim gave Zakat or donations as Sadaqah I bet there would be half the  inhumane crisis that is happening in the world today.
Please think about these images the next time you are making your Iftar, or your Suhur. Every bite you take is one child dying from starvation unless you help and donate.

This Ramadhan will become a deadly reminder if we don't do something and help out our family. You can have the opportunity to eat anytime you want. These people don't.


"Those who spend their wealth in the way of Allah and do not follow up their spending by stressing their benevolence and causing hurt, will find their reward secure with their Lord. They have no cause for fear and grief.
To speak a kind word and to forgive people's faults is better than charity followed by hurt. Allah is All-Sufficient, All-Forbearing
Believers! Do not nullify your acts of charity by stressing your benevolence and causing hurt as does he who spends his wealth only to be seen by men and does not believe in Allah and the Last Day. The example of his spending is that of a rock with a thin coating of earth upon it: when a heavy rain smites it, the earth is washed away, leaving the rock bare; such people derive no gain from their acts of charity. Allah does not set the deniers of the Truth on the right way." [Surah Al-Baqarah 2:262 - 264]


PLEASE VISIT & DONATE.
https://donate.irusa.org/SSLPage.aspx

3 comments:

  1. Salam Alaykum Sister,

    I know this realization. My focus is on gratitude and paying my zakat. We have so much here we take for granted. Ramadan Mubarak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walykum Salam sister
    Ramadhan Kareem.

    Thanks for your post. It is sad to know that this is my first Ramadhan and all I see or here is "Ramadhan recipes what to cook" or "how to get through your day while fasting" when in reality this Ramadhan you are supposed to be closer to Allah by doing good deeds and helping out those in need. Some people can't even have the opportunity to say "Bismillah" before they eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, very good. I did do a post on Somalia also, and zakat... sad, very sad T_T

    ReplyDelete

Assalamualaikum, please be mindful about what you are about to write. Think about it before writing and make sure it is something positive and beneficial, otherwise it will be deleted and ignored. JazakiAllah kheyr ! Sisters ONLY! xo