Monday, December 31, 2012

Dear Media, and the Ignorant ones.


Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatulahi wa barakatu!


a letter,


Dear Media, and The Ignorant Ones.

I wanted to let you know that I too, used to be just like you. I was without intellect, without common sense, and without a mind of my own. I lacked substance and I was extremely shallow. Everything I saw in the magazines and television, I mimicked. I wanted to be someone that I wasn't. I wanted to hurt others and waste their money on me without even caring or acknowledging.

I used to be just like you.

Unable to think for myself, I would judge those who were religious. I would make fun of them even though I had absolutely NO clue as to what religion was or what it meant. I mocked others and made fun of them because I was insecure with myself. I thought I was above and beyond everyone else and I thought that I was the cream of the crop, the best of the best.

I used to be just like you.

I cared only about what others thought and I sided with the other ignorant ones. I didn't bother to research anything and only kept my mind closed to magazines, television,  fashion, and NEWS. I thought that the material things bought fashion and likeness from others. I thought that making fun of others would elevate my status in my social circle. I was rude, crude, and vulgar. I had no sense of compassion nor did I have a sense of direction in life. I used people for their money and I used people for their company but I never really cared about them.

I used to be just like you.


And now,

I am one of those people whom I used to ridicule, mock, and humiliate. I am one of those who I used to stare at and wonder "what the HECK is that?". I am one of those people who I used to feel sorry for. I am one of those people who I used to talk about to others and make rude comments at. I am one of those people who I used to join groups to be against. I am one of those people who I used to be judge and misunderstand. I am now one of those people who I didn't bother to smile at or talk to. I am now one of those people who I thought were terrorists and evil. I am now one of those people who I had no knowledge of and who I used to pity. I am one of those who I used to watch in the media and scrutinized them and gave them dirty looks in public. I am now one of those who I used to mock , with my friends.  I am now one of those who I used to walk by with my nose in the air thinking I was "it".

I am now a Muslim. 
I now have all the respect in the world for practising Muslims who identify themselves by their beards, hijabs, abays, and niqabs. I now know what it feels like to be called "oppressed" when infact I have never felt so FREE in my life. I know now what it means to be truly oppressed when I think about those women dressed in lingere, dancing on tv. I have compassion and sadness for the starving children in Africa and those in Syria, Palestine, and Egypt. I now have more knowledge than some born Muslims on the religion of Islam. I now know who Allah is and what the Qur'an is. I now know the difference between the media and reality. I now understand that a few bad people doesn't mean the entire race, religion, are rotten as well. I now know what a struggle it is to NOT fit into society. I now know the true meaning of sisterhood and friendship. I now know what its like to love one another for the sake of Allah. I now know WHO Allah is and WHAT He wants from us. I now understand the meaning of compassion, kindness, and selflessness. I now know what it's like to feel scrutinized and mocked at. I now know what it feels like to be stared at and being judged. I know what all you ignorant ones know not, and that is WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE BEHIND THE HIJAB, NIQAB, and ABAYA. I know how it feels to feel like a modest princess who shares her beauty only with her Lord, her husband, and her sisters. I know how it feels now to have a family of beautiful sisters who are all wanting the same thing, PEACE AND HOPE FOR HUMANITY. I know now what it means to LOWER MY GAZE and not STARE at others and gawk at them or mutter rude comments under my breath. I know now the meaning of what a Muslim is. I know what the importance is of praying five times a day. I now know how POLLUTED the MEDIA is and how it destroys brain cells. I now have a MIND OF MY OWN and can think for myself. I know the difference between right and wrong, good and bad, and not what the MEDIA dictates. I now refuse to watch television or listen to music because I don't want my mind to be corrupted ever again or polluted with garbage.

I now know who I am.

 Dear media, and the ignorant ones.
I am NOT one of you nor will I ever choose to be ever again.

Yours truly,
One Chinese Muslimah.

13 comments:

  1. Masha'allah, you did it again, another favorite post. Sharing it on Facebook, insha'allah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. assalamualaikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu!!!

      SISTER ARE U ON MY FACEBOOK?!?!? i have a Umm Ahmad on my list...but i dont think it is yOU?!?!?!

      Delete
  2. MARSHALLAH; THIS IS BEAUTIFUL SISTER, MAY ALLAH CONTINUE TO BLESS YOU. YOUR SISTER, JENNIFER LEE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masha'Allah this is beautiful :) May Allah reward you Ameen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful n well put
    ma sha allah, hats off to u :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MashaAllah dear khadijah, a beautiful post! Jazakillahu khayran for sharing :-)
    Very thought-provoking, actually, but in a positive way, alhamdulillah :-)

    Sincerely,
    Aysha @ www.thecreativemuslimah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is why I looooove youuuuu <3 BFFFFFF <3 IT'S LIKE I WROTE THAT!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE MY BFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF MASHA'ALLAH!
      THIS IS WHY WE ARE BFF FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH!!!!

      I THINK YOU SHOULD COMMENT MORE OFTEN AND ALL THE TIME SO I WILL RESPOND TO YOU LOL!!!

      Delete
  7. As salamu alaykum wa raghmatullah.
    My dear sister and friend Khadija, Maa Shaa Allah, beautiful and profound message, which made me think about something .... of how many bad things Allah (ta'ala) has set us apart, of how much evil is protecting us, and usually we thank Him so little for His guidance.
    Ohibuki fi Allah.
    Your spanish sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. walaikumassalam wa rahmatulahi aw barakatu !!

      thank you sister i am so touched by your beautiful comment! May Allah protect you and continue to bless you with all that is good in this world and the next! AMEEN

      Delete
  8. Bismillah Ar Rahman Ar Raheem
    Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmathullah wa barakatuhu


    Mashallah, what a wonderful post !

    I have no idea how I got here but I give thanks to Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) for allowing me to find your site. I am sure I will both learn and exjoy reading your blogs, dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. walaikumassalam wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu!!!!

      thank you sister for stopping by and commenting !!! <3 i pray you continue to stop by !!!!!

      Delete

Assalamualaikum, please be mindful about what you are about to write. Think about it before writing and make sure it is something positive and beneficial, otherwise it will be deleted and ignored. JazakiAllah kheyr ! Sisters ONLY! xo