COVID-19: OH NO! RAMADAN AT HOME?

So, I've been browsing through Facebook because it helps me keep up with worldly events and to also see what kind of nonsense is spreading during this time. A consistent theme I have been seeing is that just how many cultural and born Muslims are dependent on their Ramadan social gatherings! Subhana'Allah!

I've been seeing a bunch of these skit reminders and posts where they are reminding (mainly born) Muslims about how there won't be Taraweeh in the masjids and to urge everyone to stay in their homes during Ramadan. This year, it seems that no masjids will be open during Ramadan. That means no iftar, no suhoor, no five daily prayers and no Taraweeh in the masjids (mosques) this Ramadan. Now, while this is something foreign and heartbreaking to many men and even some women, I feel like it's definitely a beautiful lesson for us to all learn.
It is a time for some to realize that Ramadan is actually a month of solitude and serene worship between the creation and their Creator.

I've written countless posts regarding my Ramadan experiences. At the beginning of it all, I was sad and unable to acknowledge the importance of spending Ramadan in solitude. When I first converted, I expected Ramadan to be a family function and I wanted to be a part of that cultural practice. I thought spending Ramadan with a Muslim family where everyone engaged in worship together and spent time reflecting and understanding the deen together was how a (born) Muslim family celebrated Ramadan, lol.
I couldn't have been more wrong, lol.

Anyway, I'm not here to judge others and how they want to spend their Ramadan but I am here to write about this COVID-19 thing and how it has forced many of us, including myself to spend Ramadan at home. I will, however, mention that, to see many born Muslims share their sorrows of not being able to spend Ramadan in the masjid or spend it with their extended families, kind of makes me sad. I mean, of course, Ramadan is about praying in the masjid and worshiping Allah in a congregation, but when it comes down to it, even though you are standing shoulder to shoulder and standing before the imam reciting the Qur'an, you are to experience a singular and individual experience with you and Allah. Ramadan is for you to improve your relationship with Allah and with yourself. That can't be done by spending all your hours with family and friends. Sometimes, I don't understand how many born Muslim families consider Ramadan a time for eating and sitting with each other and automatically, that's how you are getting closer to Allah. I've kind of witnessed this and experienced it for myself recently and honestly, it is far from the reality of what Ramadan should be.

Ramadan should be a lot of things and spending 24/7 with friends and family, eating and laughing and watching sitcoms is something it shouldn't be.
Ramadan shouldn't be about just sitting there and looking at the time and waiting for that minute to hit the sunset time. Ramadan shouldn't be you wondering what you will buy for Eid and spend countless hours scrolling down your shopping app for the latest trends. Ramadan shouldn't be about just spending hours in the kitchen to prepare iftar. Ramadan shouldn't be about reading Qur'an from cover to cover only the words leaving the tongue. Ramadan shouldn't be about just the technical and physical actions of a Muslim.
I'm really blessed to be able to realize that Allah has allowed me to spend countless Ramadans alone and being able to find that balance of going to the masjid and spending it in the comfort of my own home. I feel blessed that I am able to finally realize that Ramadan should be focusing on bettering myself and preparing my meeting with my Lord, Allah.

So, what should Ramadan be about?
What are your thoughts? Comment below if you'd like.








2 comments

  1. Totally agree with you dear sis.I do believe that Ramadan should be about the purification of our hearts, and taking the time to rebuild our connection with Allah. I did write an article about this, at the beginning of Ramadan, on the immense blessings of having our Ramadan in this period of COVID-19.You could check it out at www.themuslimahinspiration.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. As salaamu alaykum. Thank you! So many Muslims NEED to read this! JazakAllahu khair.

    ReplyDelete

Assalamualaikum, please be mindful about what you are about to write. Think about it before writing and make sure it is something positive and beneficial, otherwise it will be deleted and ignored. JazakiAllah kheyr ! Sisters ONLY! xo