A post : My last Ramadan


Assalamualaikum wa Rahamtulahi wa Barakatu! I decided to do a comparison of my Ramadan last year VS. my Ramadan this year. This post was from my last Ramadan which also happened to be my first Ramadan ...Insha'Allah I will be working on my Ramadan (this year) post so stay tuned!  Enjoy!


My first Ramadhan and Eid experience did not live up to that of the Twitter and Facebook status updates. I will share with you my experience and what I thought about this blessed month. The month where The Holy Qur'an was revealed, the month of extra worship, the month of fasting.

I wasn't sure what Ramadhan would entail since it was my very first one. I heard that many Muslims (not all) make it more of a huge event than it really is, in terms of feasts, food being wasted, large family gatherings, and weight gaining. Many individuals would eat before praying Maghrib and many would also experience weight gaining at the end of Ramadhan.  The Holy Month of Ibadah (worship) has turned into, for some, the holy month of eating! 


I am not sure how most of the Muslim's Ramadhan went, but my Ramadhan went a little something like this:

It was quiet and extremely simple.
I had much time alone to reflect on my relationship with my Creator.
I didn't have any big Iftar parties.
I blogged a lot.
I prayed a bit more than I normally prayed.
I took more naps than usual.
I learned how to cook two new dishes.
I thought about ways to work on my Iman.
I truly thought about death and truly dreaded the Day.
I was able to envision in my mind the day the Angel of death came to take me away
I thanked Allah continuously for the opportunity to live each day to worship Him and only Him

As you can see, my Ramadhan was uneventful and quite "boring" compared to most Muslims, but I have to say that I preferred it to be that way rather than loud, hectic, and distracting.

I had a lot of time to reflect on my new life. I had much time to really think about what it would be like in my grave when I die. Really envisioning the confined space, with nowhere to go, nothing to see except darkness. Though I am dead, my soul is still alive in my grave, waiting for the Day of Resurrection. This thought frightens me because I know that after the grave, comes the Day when we will all be judged by our Creator.

So instead of stuffing my face during Iftar and Sahur, instead of worrying what new outfit I was going to wear on Eid, and instead of being busy with family gatherings, I was busy worrying about how to strengthen my iman, how to keep myself focused on the straight path until the day I die, how to live my life day by day until the Day of Judgement arrives.

I would say for my first Ramadhan, it was the most productive time I have ever had in a long, long time. Now that Ramadhan is finished, I plan to live my life with the image of me in my grave waiting for that brutally, scorching, terrible Day of Judgement. May Allah protect me and you from that dreaded day and give us light and ease ameen.

1 comments

  1. MashaAllah your Ramadan seemed like the right kind of Ramadan. I am a very low key kinda sister and I don't trouble myself with big gatherings and six course meals to break fast. It has NOTHING to do with the meaning of what Ramadan is all about.
    My ramadan's are usually all the same with the only added extra actions being praying tarawih at home every other night on my own whilst the house is quiet. Waking up in the last third of the night during the last ten days and striving to read more Quran than I usually do and trying to reflect more on what I read and aspiring to help those who do not have the luxury of breaking their fast at iftar. Too me Ramadan is a very personal time between a slave and it's creator and I hope it is a barakah for us all and Allah accepts our efforts.

    ReplyDelete

Assalamualaikum, please be mindful about what you are about to write. Think about it before writing and make sure it is something positive and beneficial, otherwise it will be deleted and ignored. JazakiAllah kheyr ! Sisters ONLY! xo